Saturday, May 16, 2009

Wayne Cares: Midtown Detroit's Spring Clean Up


Midtown Detroit's Spring Clean Up took place May 16, 2009 starting at 8:30am. We, the Office of Community Affairs, were a little skeptical about the number of volunteers that were going to show up due to the volatile weather. Thankfully, a little rain was not enough to scare off our dedicated Wayne Cares volunteers. We had a pretty good turnout. Our volunteers came with positive attitudes and the willingness to help keep Detroit clean. On behalf of the Office of Government and Community Affairs, thank you for showing that Wayne Cares.

There are two questions we have for you:
  1. Did you enjoy Wayne Cares: Midtown Detroit's Spring Clean Up?
  2. Why did you volunteer for this event? Is it because you have a fervent desire to keep Detroit's streets clean? Is it because you like volunteer work? Or is it because you didn't have anything else to do? Let us know.

6 comments:

  1. I might be a little biased, since I work for Government and Community Affairs, but I thought the event was great. I had a lot of fun riding around taking pictures of all of the hard working volunteers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To answer your question, yes I had a great time. It was hard dragging myself out of bed. But by the time I, and a few friends, got down to the Welcome Center we were wide awake and ready to work. To answer your other question, the reason we decided to come down here is because we always hear people talking bad about the city. So we decided to do our part and attempt to spruce up the midtown area (downtown might be a lost cause).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a bad event, for such a dreary day. I'll definitely make it my business to be at the next wayne cares event. As for the reason I volunteered for the event, I did it to impress a girl. But the reason is not important! The important thing is I showed up and worked hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I enjoyed the Spring Clean-Up! I showed up individually and ended up with a wonderful group of people. I'm looking forward to more events like this. One suggestions is that it would have been nice to see the people who live and reside in the area we were cleaning up out assisting with the cleanup. I enjoy volunteer work, and think it comes back to you threefold. Plus, I live in midtown. I also participated because it's a way to meet new people who share similar interests. Looking forward to the next one on September 2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My only gripe is the weather. It didn't rain, but the weather was very melancholy. But I guess you guys couldn't foresee that one. Other than that, I had a good time at the event. Oh yeah, and the reason i came to this event is because you guys sent out like 1000 emails! I had to come see what all the hype was about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughters and I really enjoyed the event. I love to volunteer. I usually volunteer with hospice. I decided to do something different where my daughters could get involved. They were actually excited about cleaning up outside. I was happy that it didn't rain because this would've definitely disappointed them. We look forward to doing this again with WSU.

    ReplyDelete